Monday, January 2, 2012

Lead a School and Lead a Balanced Life? Probably Not

I love the symmetry of today's date: 1/2/12. It feels and looks balanced. It brings to mind perhaps the most common coaching question I'm asked: How can I do this work and live a balanced life? My first response is: What does a balanced life look like to you? My second response is: people who are drawn to mission-driven work,who are compelled to shift the dominant paradigm of injustice, aren't the kind of people who lead a balanced life. But we CAN lead a healthy life. We can make the usual New Year's resolutions: eat well and exercise. And we can:


We want urgent school leaders around for a long time, so surround yourself with funny people (Kids are very funny), notice when you feel compassion (for yourself as well), and do something kind for people who help you lead a healthier life, and for people who could use a good laugh.


1 comment:

  1. My favorite post so far, and a great way to start the new year!

    Whenever I think that I would like to have a more balanced life, I think of Newton's First Law. It is not balance, but an *unbalanced* set of forces that are needed to change the trajectory of something. With hundreds of years of momentum carrying things in a direction that we'd like to change, our forces must be pretty heavily unbalanced.

    Nobody wants to be the person to look a parent in the eye and say, "you know, I'd love to help your child, but your child's principal needs a little more work-life balance."

    On the flip side, it's nice to be able to spend time with my own kids, teach them to read and navigate life's difficulties, cook dinner once in a while (though usually on weekends), and, yes, do nice things for people.

    All the best for you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete